I’ve spent many hours now listening in real time to the audio timeline that I have partially reconstructed in Premiere (which I described in my previous post). I’m 21 hours, 48 minutes into the mission (plus the two hours of commentary leading up to the launch). There have been some segments of missing audio and there has been one 6 hour sleep period that contained only occasional Public Affairs Office (PAO) announcements. Continue reading
When tabling and OCRing all of the transcript pages, running python cleanup procedures and manually running search and replace rules, I had a lot of time to think about this project and where it might lead. The underlying thought that I kept coming back to is that I’m re-establishing a cohesive chain of events that occurred over a 13 day period, 40 years ago. Starting from this idea of a chain I expanded my investigation to include other media elements in addition to the transcript. I realized that I would have to reconcile all of the audio recorded, film shot, photos taken, and television broadcast during that 13 day period in order to reconstruct the chain of events.